Saturday, May 8, 2010

In the Good Ol' Summertime

Summer is fast approaching. Just a few more concerts at school, too many snow make-up days and summer will officially be here for me. I'm looking forward to spending time outside with Colton, getting that long-awaited tan, and going to the beach (def.-"lake beach" for my California friends). But I also love the foods that come with summertime. Last time I talked about grilling, but there is so much more. There is fruit. Fresh fruit. Not faux-frozen fruit but fantastic-fabulous-fresh fruit. Here in Iowa we unfortunately cannot get fresh fruit year round. So summer is the time to stock up-both by overeating delicious fruit and freezing them. I prefer to flash freeze my fruit..if you don't know what that is ask me sometime. So far I've been finding recipes for mango salsa, strawberry cobbler, raspberry rhubarb pie, pineapple upside down cupcakes, grilled peaches and bananas, and blueberry bread. But today I'm going to post a recipe that can be made all year round. Apple pie!!!! I know what you're thinking..."apple pie is delicious, but its kind of boring. You really didn't need to use 4 exclamation marks. And apples are a fall fruit." But I love this recipe because you really can make it whenever. You only need 2 apples. Think of the time you'll save peeling and slicing. You might even find time to shower! I love when I find time to shower. So does my husband. And my students.

This is a twist on the traditional apple pie- it's an Apple Cream Pie. It's like having the ice cream "built into" the pie. But of course, if you're like my family, you'll still have a generous scoop with this pie. And probably some Cool Whip too. So enjoy this recipe that is American as baseball; cheering for the White Sox. (sorry, honey)

Apple Cream Pie with a Light Glaze

Ingredients:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tart apples - peeled, cored and sliced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 package pastry for double-crust pie
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter, softened
Directions:
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, milk, cream, and butter. Heat until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, 2 tablespoons milk, and vanilla; stir into saucepan. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool slightly. It will also become more clear as it thickens.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine the apples, flour, and cinnamon. Mix well. I like to use my apple/peeler/corer/slicer from pampered chef. If you would like one, I can hook you up with a great pampered chef consultant.
Line a 9 inch pie pan with pie dough. Pour thickened filling mixture into pastry-lined pie pan. Arrange apple mixture evenly over filling. Top with second crust, seal and flute the edges. Cut slits in top crust. I like to use any leftover crust and cut it with a cookie cutter and lay the cutouts on the pie. Except some people think my music notes look like fish.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Cool for at least 30 minutes.
In small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, 1 tablespoon milk, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 tablespoon softened butter. Blend until smooth; pour evenly over warm pie. Refrigerate before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment