Thursday, February 11, 2010

One of the many reasons to live in Iowa:

....ham. Plenty of pig to go around.
Wow, I've been keeping up with this for 2 whole days now. That's pretty good for me! Here's my next recipe. It's one that I grew up with, and one that I always requested and still request when I go home to see my parents. Hamballs. You read that right. Hamballs. Sweet and Sour Hamballs to be exact. They are soosooo good. And easy. They get even better after spending a little time in the fridge. These are a terrific make-ahead dish. Don't get scared of the fat that hardens when you put it in the fridge or freezer. Fat=Flavor. Normally I try to cook healthy, like I said. But not for this. Don't even ask me how many weight watchers points one meatball is. If you do want to make it healthier, cool it down, then skim off of the fat with a knife.



Sweet and Sour Hamballs
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground ham
2lb. ground beef
1 c. milk
3. wheat or corn flakes
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt

Sauce:
1 1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. vinegar
1 can pineapple tidbits (including juice)
1 tsp. mustard

Mix hamball ingredients together. Makes about 60 small balls, or 40 if you make uneven ones like me. Bake at 350F for 1/2 hour. Add sauce, bake for another 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

1 comment:

  1. This is on my meal plan for the week! Love your blog, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete